The ATO now has published guidance on how to report eligible employees and JobKeeper top up payments via STP. We advise you to read this information to help you report eligible employees and JobKeeper top-up payments in Single Touch Payroll (STP) software. You can find this information here.
This is a suggested guide only based on the latest information available from the ATO. We recommend seeking advice from you Accountant or Bookkeeper to confirm payment setup.
Step 1. Enrol for the Jobkeeper Payment by logging into the Business Portal using MyGovID (your registered Tax or BAS agent can do this on your behalf).
Step 2. Identify and maintain your employees who are eligible for the JobKeepers payment as detailed below. The JobKeeper payment can be claimed from Monday 30th March and will apply for 13 full fortnights until Sunday 27th September 2020.
In order to process the JobKeepers payment through Cashflow Manager you will need to set up OTHER Allowances. There are three types of OTHER Allowances you can use to claim the JobKeepers Payment for eligible employees:
- Use this code in Cashflow Manager to notify the ATO of employees who are eligible for the JobKeeper payment for via Single Touch Payroll (STP). You will be required to enter this code at the start of each fortnight which you will be claiming the JobKeeper payment for each eligible employee.
- You must be report JOBKEEPER-START-FNxx as a $0.00 value.
- Each fortnight the code changes i.e. JOBKEEPER-START-FN01 is the code you would use if you are claiming for the fortnight 30/03/2020 to 12/04/2020.
*The full list of codes and dates for JOBKEEPER-START-FNxxare detailed at the end of this document in Notes.
- Eligible employees who are paid less than $1,500 per fortnight must be paid a “top-up” amount to bring their taxable gross to $1,500 per fortnight for paydays within the JobKeeper fortnightly periods.
- These “top-up” amounts must be reported as an Allowance Item as JOBKEEPER-TOPUP.
- You do not need to record JOBKEEPER-TOPUP for employees who earn over $1,500 per fortnight.
- Use this code to inform the ATO that employee is no longer eligible for the JobKeeper payment either because of Workers’ compensation absence, Cessation of employment or Change of citizenship, visa, or other personal circumstances.
- You must be report JOBKEEPER-FINISH-FNxx as a $0.00 value.
- Each fortnight the code changes i.e. JOBKEEPER-FINISH-FN04 would be the code you would enter if the employee became ineligible for the JobKeeper payment in the fortnight of 11/05/2020-24/05/2020.
*The full list of codes and dates for JOBKEEPER-FINISH-FNxx are detailed at the end of this document in Notes.
For all OTHER Allowances you must ensure that you enter the correct Allowance in the exact format (capital letters) detailed above to avoid any delay in processing payments.
Step 3: Make a business monthly declaration
- Each month you must reconfirm your eligible employees which can be done through the Business Portal or via your registered Tax or BAS agent.
- Any changes to eligible employees must be reported through the monthly declaration including if an employee leaves your business.
- You must also provide information as to your current and projected GST turnover to show how your business is performing with aid of the JobKeeper allowance. Please note this is not a retest of your eligibility for the scheme and will not impact your ability to claim the JobKeeper payment.
- The JobKeeper payment is a reimbursement that is paid on successful completion of the monthly declaration. The payment is made into your nominated Bank Account the month after the employee’s payments have been made.
Paying the JobKeeper Payment for the first time in Cashflow Manager
Select Employees name
Select [Modify Employee] on the right-hand side menu
Navigate to [Pay Details]
Select [Allowance] under Pay Options and click on [Add] to the right.
Select allowance type of [Other allowances that require PAYG but not Super]
Add description [JOBKEEPER-START-FNxx]
Set [Single Rate] at $0.00.
Allowance will be displayed as separate item on Pay advice.
The ATO has an Employers reporting through STP guide for more information.
The JOBKEEPER-START-FNxx codes are:
FN Dates Allowance Description
01 30/03/2020-12/04/2020 JOBKEEPER-START-FN01
02 13/04/2020-26/04/2020 JOBKEEPER-START-FN02
03 27/04/2020-10/05/2020 JOBKEEPER-START-FN03
04 11/05/2020-24/05/2020 JOBKEEPER-START-FN04
05 25/05/2020-07/06/2020 JOBKEEPER-START-FN05
06 08/06/2020-21/06/2020 JOBKEEPER-START-FN06
07 22/06/2020-05/07/2020 JOBKEEPER-START-FN07
08 06/07/2020-19/07/2020 JOBKEEPER-START-FN08
09 20/07/2020-02/08/2020 JOBKEEPER-START-FN09
10 03/08/2020-16/08/2020 JOBKEEPER-START-FN10
11 17/08/2020-30/08/2020 JOBKEEPER-START-FN11
12 31/08/2020-13/09/2020 JOBKEEPER-START-FN12
13 4/09/2020-27/09/2020 JOBKEEPER-START-FN13
If an employee stops being eligible for JobKeeper then the next payment made needs an end code appended to JOBKEEPER description (e.g. JOBKEEPER-FINISH-FN08) based on the following list to show employees eligibility end date.
The JOBKEEPER-FINISH-FNxx codes are:
FN Dates Allowance Description
01: 30/03/2020-12/04/2020 JOBKEEPER-FINISH-FN01
02: 13/04/2020-26/04/2020 JOBKEEPER-FINISH-FN02
03: 27/04/2020-10/05/2020 JOBKEEPER-FINISH-FN03
04: 11/05/2020-24/05/2020 JOBKEEPER-FINISH-FN04
05: 25/05/2020-07/06/2020 JOBKEEPER-FINISH-FN05
06: 08/06/2020-21/06/2020 JOBKEEPER-FINISH-FN06
07: 22/06/2020-05/07/2020 JOBKEEPER-FINISH-FN07
08: 06/07/2020-19/07/2020 JOBKEEPER-FINISH-FN08
09: 20/07/2020-02/08/2020 JOBKEEPER-FINISH-FN09
10: 03/08/2020-16/08/2020 JOBKEEPER-FINISH-FN10
11: 17/08/2020-30/08/2020 JOBKEEPER-FINISH-FN11
12: 31/08/2020-13/09/2020 JOBKEEPER-FINISH-FN12
13: 14/09/2020-27/09/2020 JOBKEEPER-FINISH-FN13
Taxes are payable on JobKeeper payments.
Superannuation on these payments is not required. If an employer wishes to pay Superannuation they can select allowance type [Other allowances that require PAYG and Super].